Tonight I made muffins. I actually tried to make these on Saturday, but they didn't turn out so well. My first attempt was not bad, but not the amazing cream cheese filling I'd imagined. I followed the directions on Saturday, but tonight decided to try again, making a few changes. Failure on Saturday, success today! Yay! They are sooo yummy! They have the perfect amount of "I'm Eating Really Healthy" with ooey-gooey sweetness!
My mom makes the best carrot cake! She doesn't like to cook very much, but she beats me when it comes to baking. I'd say I'm successful in my attempts to bake about 1/2 the time. Seriously, there are just too many factors... when making a pie crust, overbeating eggs, the temperature of the oven, etc. She knows, though, just when to pull stuff out of the oven. Her carrot cake (bars she usually makes) are always so yummy. She actually puts raisins in, too, which might be a good addition to these muffins.
Enjoy! Happy Monday!
Carrot Cake Muffins With A Cream Cheese Surprise
from Cupcakes From the Cake Doctor
Cream Cheese Surprise
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 egg, beaten
2 TBsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1. Place cream cheese in a med. size mixing bowl. Blend with electric mixer on med-high speed until it is fluffy, 30 seconds.
2. Add other ingredients.
3. Blend mixture until it is creamy.
4. Set aside. I scooped it into a sandwhich bag and placed it in the fridge to harden a bit.
5. Preheat the oven to 400.
1 package cinnamon swirl muffin mix (19.1 ounces)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup veggie oil
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp maple flavoring (I used a bit of maple syrup)
1 cup shredded carrots
1. Place muffin mix in a large mixing bowl, making a well in the center.
2. Reserve half of the cinnamon sugar packet to sprinkle on top of the muffins.
3. Add other half to well, along with the egg, maple...., milk and veggie oil.
4. Stir together wet and dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until just combined, 20 strokes.
5. Add carrots, stirring another 10 strokes.
6. Spoon or scoop about 1/3 cup batter into each muffin cup.
7. Cake Doctor wants you to go on ahead and make a well in the center of each muffin, but my batter today and Sat. just wouldn't have it, so I put these in the fridge to harden a bit before I made a well approximately 1.5 inches into the center of each muffin.
8. Squeeze the cream cheese surprise into the middle of each muffin.
8a.. Sprinkle each with some of the remaining cinnamon sugar.
9. Bake approx. 22 minutes, or until the muffins are deeply golden and just spring back when lightly pressed with your finger.
10. Let these cool for about 20 minutes before you eat them.