Last week I turned 28. I can't believe I'm 28! Not that 28 is such an awful big number, but it seems like just yesterday I was 21. Really. I've been completely spoiled this week by friends and family... it's going to be hard to go back to being a normal person :)
(an ice cream cake)
I've seen a few fun memes around blogland, but I just wanted to mark the occasion with an entry of 28 things:
1. I'm thankful for: the kindness and wisdom of my parents, the generosity of my brother, the love of my husband, my sweet, sweet pets, my friends who can always bring a smile to my face, my coworkers who teach me so much about life everyday, the kindness of strangers, the fact that I've survived some things I felt I couldn't...
2. I love: how every day is new and this quote: "Make it a good day or not, the choice is yours." Here's another good quote, from my father: "Sometimes what you want and what you get aren't always the same thing."
2.5 (oops!). This week: Jer, my family and friends spoiled me by taking me out to some of my favorite eateries 'round here, as they know good food is my drug of choice :): Cafe Michel, The Depot Grille, Sheridan Livery, Panera (I heart bread), Southern Inn. I finally made a home cooked meal last night. Oh, if you live around here, I'd say the best meal we had was at the Depot... I had the Bourbon Glazed Salmon... sooo yummy!
3. The loot: Lots of fun stuff!
Bird stuff... a mercury glass bird
this one Ashley got for me in London @ Top Shelf... cool, eh?
4. Friends I wish I could have seen for my birthday: Rachel Tro., Hillary, Rachel Cald., Mariana, Karlos, Angela, Creek, Justin
5. Why I love living here: That Walmart hasn't ruined the downtown business.
6. Scary things about the world:That the electric car vanished, probably because of the big oil companies. Pollution. War. That young girls think they're fat: there is actually a girl, I believe she is a Washington and Lee student, who is stick thin but I see every time I go to the grocery store loading up on junk food-- a full cart every time-- I've seen her 2 days in a row before, always without a list just wandering. She's so thin her eyes are sunken, and I want to say something to her. Should I? What would I say?
7. My phobia: the dark. Ok, not the dark inside the house, lights out; the darkness fo the woods, sans flashlight or fire. It's kind of a long story, but a big part of it might be that Watcher in the Woods scared the crap out of me when I was little.
8. My other phobia: clowns. This is a result of Killer Clowns from Outer Space. What freaky movie! Clowns getting kids to wander into the woods to see the circus, and then eating them (is what I remember)... I could never look at cotton candy the same way either! :)
9. A movie you should watch: Who Killed the Electric Car?
10. A movie that left me a little confused: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? This is definetely not a date night movie, it's a little depressing and confusing. At least now I understand, partially, the hype over Elizabeth Taylor's acting.
11. A book I love: Sue Monk Kid's The Secret Life of Bees
12. A book I recommend, but can't say you'll enjoy reading the whole thing: The Black Dog of Fate. As an Armenian, I am so glad I've read this, but I've never been able to finish it because of the disturbing facts.
13. A really cool hint I'd like to pass on: If you have a stem of cut hydrangea and it starts to wilt, fill a deep pot or bucket with lukewarm water. Drop the hydrangea into the pot, flower side down. Let it sit for a few hours... and voila! it comes back to life. See?
Before, wilting in the arrangement...
And after, days later!
I'm so excited about this, as these are my favorite flowers; I heard the hint a long time ago, but thought it sounded ridiculous.
14. A City I Love: Paris
15: A City I'd love to see more of: Victoria
16. A City I'd love to see: Rome
17. I want to try: Crewel or Needlepoint. I got Wool and Hoop for Christmas this year, and I just love the designs. Needlepoint is so expensive, SO expensive, but really beautiful when finished. I have an aunt who does needlepoint beautifully, and my grandmother got me one for Christmas (finished already, not a kit).
18. Blogs I've just discovered: 3191, Cut + Paste, Through the Lens, Stuff on My Cat (Watch Out, Moby!) .
19. Food: I like tomatoes, but hate ketchup. I actually don't like any condiments.
20. A Car I Want: Toyota Camry- The Hybrid! This is truly a sweet, sweet ride. In my dreams we could afford it, but I am still saving up for a car this year.
21. Bad Habits I resolve this year to quit: Not returning phone calls or emails promptly, not writing thank you notes when I should and ... biting my nails. I keep telling myself that if I could find a way to stop, I could treat myself to a manicure-- but right now, that would be like paying for a haircut with a shaved head. :)
22. Something I want to do less of: Internet shopping. I'm saving up for a car, after all!
23. Something I can't get enough of: The Office. I just want Jim and Pam to get together!
24. Something I want to do more of: Exercise. I'm trying to walk a trail here at least 2x a week. I daydream that I'll get back into swimming, too...
25. Something I hope for: to find a way to love my job. Some days that's tough, but every so often, something happens, or maybe a child does or says something that makes it all worthwhile.
26. This weekend: I'm going to start making Valentines!
27. Today: It's snowing! Yippee! Our first snow of the year, I hope it's a good one.
28. Tommorow: I'm going to wake up and hope school's canceled, just like every kid around here!
I hope everyone has a wonderful week!