Saturday, November 18, 2006
How To Candy Orange Peels (EASY!)
I mentioned I would share an easy recipe for candy-ing orange peels. I'm sure you could do the same with lemon peels. You could use these to top cakes, pancakes, maybe something chocolate or such....
Candied Orange Peels
-zester (not a microplane)
-2 or 3 oranges
-1/2 cup sugar
-1/2 cup water
1. Zest long, thin strips of the orange peel. Zest only the colored part of the peel, avoiding any white. The longer the strips, the better. Do this to all of your oranges.
2. Place peel strips in a small saucepan and pour in just enough water to cover the strips.
3. On medium-high heat, bring water to a boil. Allow to boil about 30 seconds, and then pour out the water, being careful to save all the strips.
4. Return strips to pan and repeat step 3.
5. After you have poured out the 2nd batch of water, return strips to pan and cover with 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar.
6. Bring this mixture to a constant boil, and reduce the liquid to about 1/3 (of the original).
7. Now remove strips and place in a bowl, clumping them all in the center. Dont' use a paper towel. Let them sit for a few minutes to "candy" and then they are ready to eat!*
*You can use the syrup mixture that is leftover in the pan for pancakes or cakes.
Posted by Coleen at 11/18/2006 11:05:00 AM